I'm working on completing a 52,000 word manuscript by 12/31/08 and I am at 20,000 words today. It feels very good. The interesting part is although it is mostly crap and 97% will probably be flushed down the tubes, I don't really care since my main reason for forging through is to actually complete a project. It's my 40th birthday present to myself. Next year, I will look at the mess and hopefully take a few gems to start over and make something out of it.
I could start again now, but in my years as a 'motivated' writer, I've been doing nothing but starting over. I'm great at titles. And first paragraphs. Fairly good at ideas. But crappy at sticking with. So it feels like I'm breaking through by pushing forward and letting that inner critic sit and wait for 2009. It can go to town Jan 1, but not today, not this year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
As a recovering starter-and-abandoner myself, I must ask... have you tried NaNoWriMo? You may not have the ability to average 1800 words a day during November, but it worked wonders for me. I've finished my fourth manuscript, and I think I've finally gotten to one that can sell, after I revise it a little according to feedback I've gotten from two agents.
For years I'd write two or three chapters and then abandoned them for one reason or another (usually because they lost their luster, a lot like brand-new toys the day after Christmas). Then I discovered NaNo, committed myself to it, and finally, finally kick-started my writing.
Your mileage may vary.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. :-)
NaNoWriMo is a very good idea. I've considered it for several years since I've heard of it. With young kids, I've always been hesitant, but now that they are older, I think I could try it. It's quite a commitment, but as you say, even if I set a smaller goal, say 1000 words, that would still be an accomplishment. Hmmm, I'll have to think about gearing up..
4 MS? That's an accomplishment. Congratulations!
You are right about commitment, it seems to make a big difference.
Congratulations on a wonderful milestone!!!
I'm on my second (okay, since I'm here I'm really procrastinating on my second). I'm still counting by every 500 words. :-(
By the way, you are too gorgeous to be 40!!!! (wench) heh heh
Thanks , Chris. Kudos to you for the 2nd MS. Nice work! As for turning forty, if you looked closely...let's just say I need to be saving up for botox or something. ;-)
Post a Comment