Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Haiku

I've always been a lover of great Haiku. In days of old (ie when I had more than 2 minutes of silent & uninterrupted mind time), I would actually write some.

The first Haiku that ever spoke to me was this:

I am nothing
A red, sinking autumn sun
Took my name away

I have thought about what that means for 25 years.

Of course Pete is the best modern day Haiku'er I've read besides my favorite book "Office Haiku". I wish I could find that book now to share some of those, to make corporate life just slightly more bearable. (When you're bored, email all your work friends and write haikus about your job. It's very therapeutic.)

I just found the Haiku SmackDown. Love the name. Check it out.

Here's my entries (I think you have to see the pictures for the full monty - hopefully I'll get better so that you won't be required to view what I'm talking about. ;-)

The caution tape is
To protect further murder
By the skirted man.

Enough of pirates
Then to add a skeleton -
Party is over.

While his skirt is long,
Please don’t underestimate
His tight green clover.

It is not prom night
Put Madonna dress away
And get comfortable.

6 comments:

PJD said...

Talk about flattery! I think my haiku, while always in 5-7-5, are pretty cheap as far as real poetry goes. They're fun, but if light verse is like poetry bubble gum, my haiku are poetry Chicklets.

I love yours. I visited the smackdown and will start playing next week.

paisley said...

i think haiku can be a blast,, and often a spring board for something longer... i loved yours and i am off to view the smack down site... and about pete.. he rules....

Chris Eldin said...

You and PJD are both haiku gurus!!!

Writerkat, I dropped by to ask you if you could stop by Sheri's blog---she's linked on my sidebar, as, you know, "Sheri."
:-)
Her recent post about going to a job interview and what happened..I thought you would be able to say something.....

Sheri Perl-Oshins said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, WriterKat.

Here's a haiku my daughter wrote this year for school...

Fireflies flick on
lighting up the summer sky
Fireflies flick off

I always liked writing Hiakus too. The one you quoted with the red sun sinking stealing her name was really good, so sad, lonely, and striking. At least that's how I read it.

But, oh no... I've just revealed myself to a psychoanalyst!!!

PJD said...

Hey! Congratulations on winning last week's Smackdown!

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Taking Hawaiian, kempo karate in ‘94,
received my fabled black belt in ‘99, yet
thΓΆt this was waaaay too superficial: me!
me! me! No thanx. I’d rather serve the poor.
Call me weird. But I know I’m blessed cuz
I have the fireNblood to ‘Carpe Diem’ (Latin:
‘Seize the day’ forever), gorgeous girly babe:

After d’Rapture/Wild-Wedding-Feast’n
7th Heaven, I wonder if you’d like 2fly2
the starry sky doin everythn4eternity?

This2 πŸ€ͺ➕♥️➕🧨 this2 πŸ•Ή➖πŸ‘Ύ➖
πŸ‘½➖πŸ’€ Y’wanna complete fantasy??
πŸ‘™➕🧴➕🏝➕🧯this2🎒➕πŸ”« must
do water-gun-fights, too 🏰 ➕πŸƒ (🏁)
centillions❗️rocket-fuel-girls, girls, girls
W/O d’rulebook 4♾ without πŸ•³πŸ§»πŸ”¦

Wanna follow this crazYoung zealot??
Follow this sinner to the starry sky, lil1:
⚡️psychopathicmath.blogspot.com⚡️
Cya soon, ya gorgeous wildflower you...