If you have time, do you have kids? If you have kids, do you have time?
Since having kids, I am more aware of my time, or lack there of. Mostly because pre-kids, I could pretty much make my own schedule - hours of free "me" time before and after work. Now my free moments are like butterflies - always just ahead of my grasp, and if I catch one, she flies away before I can truly appreciate her.
It's my expectations that kill me. The ones that say "I will have 'ME' time when....." Opportunities like "bedtime" or "when they're watching T.V." or "oh good, they're getting along for a minute.." become huge disappointments because I put so much value in those moments to get a bit for myself. Whether it's a minute to surf the net or call a friend, or a plan to carve out a couple of hours to write, I seem to be endlessly disappointed when an interruption occurs. The movie wasn't that entertaining, the kids are bickering, someone can't sleep or needs a water cup. Don't even get me started when my one day off is "ruined" by a sick call from school. Nope, not much sympathy there for my sick child. "When is there time for me???" My mind rages. I'm starving here!
People tell me, "Take some personal time." "Have time for yourself." It's all true, and maybe it would do me some good. But on the other hand, I'm missing out on so much. I don't get to take my kids to school. I don't get to pick them up. I'm working. I love my job. But by working, I'm missing out on my other job. And so when I am home, I don't call the babysitter. I don't go to Starbucks and leave my family behind. I suck it up like any good martyr (a.k.a. mother) would do. I remind myself that my time is 10 years from now (probably even less than that). When I'll be wishing for these times again. Wishing I could spend more time with them and less by myself.
Yesterday, my other half needed a 15 minute break. He'd been watching them all morning while I worked. And so the kids & I donned our boots, mittens, jackets, umbrellas and scarves and headed out for some puddle jumping. We waded through worm filled streams, kicked wet pine cones into the gutters, felt the rain on our heads, laughed, joked and pondered. By the time we reached Starbucks, I got my cup of joe and the kids were good and worn out. I wouldn't have traded 5 hours of alone time for the short opportunity to walk in the rain with my kids. And when we got home, the movie seemed a lot more appealing, and I had a few minutes break. Until....
Expectations - they get me every time. 10 years. 10 years. I will have time someday. Right? Maybe? Please? (Okay, guilt is setting in now...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Great post, Writerkat!
I feel that so often (when is there 'me' time?) With DH traveling so much, I am also the 'man of the house.' So even though I'm a stay at home mom, I don't have the time you would think.
And those occasional places in the week when I might, I fill up with work so I won't have to worry about it.
I need to take time to enjoy the children--actually, make the time. I need to stop seeing them as a chore. (Although I love them more than life itself, I'm out of balance right now)
I love your idea about puddle jumping!! Your kids will remember that as well!
:-)
Hi CL,
Thanks for coming by! You are spot on about seeing them as a chore. In my self centeredness, that's exactly how I see them. It's like a gift when they wake me out of the trance and see them as the precious things that they are.
Balance does seem to be the key.
Dogs are great!
I really admire those of you who can balance the time/kids scales. I don't know how you do it and still maintain your sanity.
Ah gee, why didn't you tell me 7 years ago about dogs? :-)
Oh my gosh, I could have written that post, although not nearly as beautifully as you did.
The absolute worst is when I say, "Okay gang, Mom's going to write for the next two hours. Leave me alone."
It NEVER happens. My youngest is a master at spooning out the guilt. "But Mommy, don't you love your nee nee boo?"
She get's angry and then I get angrier.
My oldest has the timing of a rainstorm on a fourth of july picnic. She'll be perfectly content doing something, until I get on the computer, and then it's questions, questions, questions.
But, somehow, I sneak some in. It's been harder now though with my work demands taking up more than the typical 40 hours. I've had to bring it home with me.
I guess I should be grateful that technolagy allows me to work from home rather than the office. At least I'm here, but it does require a certain aptitude for "tuning out".
Ah me time. I think the best me time is when it just happens. You can't force it. But just be ready for it when it comes.
"I think the best me time is when it just happens. You can't force it. But just be ready for it when it comes."
Well said, Word! You are absolutely right. You just can't plan for those things.
Your story about the computer made me laugh as I nodded my head. The other day my son had a big note on the computer ready for me when I woke up saying "No email or blogging". I guess the little man knows my number. :-)
Post a Comment