Wednesday, May 21, 2008

3WW - writer prompt - edge.focus.delayed

Check out Bone's 3WW for the week - try your hand! It's fun.

Hub:
I stepped off the edge of the porch into the pouring summer rain, and turned my face upwards, eyes closed. It had been way too long since I had felt free enough to do something like this. So I just let go, gradually relaxed into my breathing and noticed how the warm rain washed away what must have been a lifetime of tears. Finally, my thinking mind had taken a back seat – finally it was delayed long enough so that my sense of being alive came back into sharp focus.


Me:
There are times in life when you feel you have reached the edge and are almost suspended in mid-air. You feel like time is delayed. What matters starts to come into focus. Choices ask you to free-fall into the unknown, or to step slowly backwards to safety. Listen to the space around you, you will feel the answer as sure as the gentle breeze that circles you.

10 comments:

TC said...

Good advice there.

Is your hubby still out enjoying beautiful countryside, I mean working? :)

anthonynorth said...

So very true. A piece of wisdom there.

PJD said...

I like that choices are asking, and I agree that if you just be quiet for a while and force all the external pressures to be quiet, the answer will make itself known.

But sometimes, you just gotta jump even if your gut tells you not to.

gautami tripathy said...

One good advice. And I look forward to read your hubby's post.

Anya Padyam said...

Makes a lot of sense... nice post!

Anonymous said...

now those are beautiful...

Word said...

Hi WriterKat!

Just stopped out for some inspiration. Happy 40th! Little late, but hey...better late than never.

I'll give the writer prompt a go. Let's see it was "delayed, focus and edge." I'll use one of the protags from my wip. 13 year old Tam.

Gingerly, Tam traced her finger across the lump on her forehead. It thumped in pain, almost taking on a life of its own. She shivered, the early morning sun not yet strong enough to warm her dew clad skin. How long had she been passed out under this tree? One night? Two? Three?

She shook her head as if to expel impending thoughts of doom. Focus. She needed to focus. The edge of the forest must be close. It must be. She stood, slowly, cautiously, holding the trunk of the towing pine that had inflicted the large purple bruise on her forehead.

She willed herself to move forward, but her footsteps seemed delayed. Not in sync yet with her will to move. A systematic rustling sound caught her attention. She turned to her left. A large bush shivered and shook. God, don't let it be the bear. The bear. Not that damn bear.

TC said...

I liked Hub's. There's something to be said for shutting the brain off. Now if I could just manage to do that...

WriterKat said...

Thank you everyone!

Shutting off the brain - I agree, a good idea and much needed but hard to do.

Hi Word, Welcome back! I like your take on the words - you have a strong character there. It was all effortless, the words were hidden perfectly within the story.

The Anti-Wife said...

Well done. Interesting and introspective.