Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Whether we can Weather the storms

It’s so tempting for me to bury my head in the sand with all the recent weather reports around the globe. Deaths by the thousands from earthquakes, cyclones, tornadoes – the predictions made by global warming educators are coming true. We can blame these “natural disasters” on a lot of things – random, religious, realities of life. But the argument of global warming seems more and more the reality of what is going on. It's hard to admit, but we did this to ourselves. To our world. Until we take personal responsibility for our own actions, and advocate to our governments to take action as well, ultimately, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I go through phases of changing behaviors, conscientious about recycling, water preservation, reducing unnecessary purchases, limiting my unnecessary driving, using the air conditioner less. But then apathy sets in, the feeling of helplessness, does it really make a difference?

We are in a crisis. Every little bit helps, one action leads to another action. I hope that recycling one can makes a difference. Taking a shorter shower helps. Washing clothes in cold water reduces energy. Using cloth grocery bags. In my best moments, I believe it does. But hearing all the latest death tolls and devastation, it reminds me that we all have to work together on this or we aren’t going to make it.

For me, I have to keep hearing the stories of what is going on in order to stay focused on my own behavior for change. I can't slip into complacence. One action times one action leads to managing the monster that is growing in force by the day.

"Our World Needs Us"
Global Warming

3 comments:

PJD said...

Do what you can. I saw some amazing stat when my kids were watching something on TV the other day. If everyone in the US reduced their daily shower by one minute, the saved water would fill all five of the Great Lakes. At least, that's what I remember it saying. I'm not sure I got it right. But it was that order of magnitude.

This feeling of helplessness is, I'm sure, what spurred the creation of the "think globally, act locally" bumper stickers. Do what you can. We still have an amazing world with tons of resources, so I don't believe you have to become an all-organic, carbon-neutral person to be a Good Citizen. But doing the things you mention actually does help.

Also what would help, which I am far less willing to do, is to eat less meat. The meat industry is terrible for the world in so many ways. But I do love my deli sandwiches and hamburgers.

Robin said...

I'm conserving brain power. And making my next car a Prius.

WriterKat said...

Pete, that's really amazing, even if the water reduction was 1/2 that much, it would be worth it.

Good point about meat. I am pretty good at swinging back & forth with vegetarian foods - they are so much tastier these days. But every now and then, it's nice to have a good steak or burger.

Robin, brain power - good thing. Those Prius's are great.