Wednesday, June 11, 2008

3WW - writer prompt - dizzy.change.key

Come take a gander at Bone's 3WW XC

I'm ashamed to say I don't know what the hell number XC is in Roman Numeral, but I do know that 40 is XL, which I am reminded that so is my age and clothes.

Hub:
TBA

Me:
The merger was complete. The employees on the 9th floor of 2nd & Hyde could feel the change that had been slithering through the halls for days. It now coiled in corners of the conference room like snakes with fangs outstretched. They breathed in the fear, dizzy with anticipation of the fatal bite. Any moment the new CEO would walk in with a list of those facing financial ruin. What was so sure a year ago, was so surely not now. Just when the humid sweat of the room was reaching unbearable, they heard the turn of a key. The thick maple door opened to reveal the black suited giant. The air conditioner snapped on, blowing the door closed with a resounding boom.

8 comments:

PJD said...

Wow, that one is a little different from what I'm used to from you... lots of metaphor and doom. When they heard the key, I thought at first they were being locked in, so dire was the situation you'd painted. Well done. Though I'm wondering what snakes look like with their fangs outstretched.

WriterKat said...

Thanks - I decided to work against the obvious this time (my defaults). Yeah, I wasn't sure about the outstretched, I couldn't think of another word.

The Anti-Wife said...

Very well done!
Hi!

TC said...

I love you for the XC comment alone :-D You made my day just by writing that.

Anonymous said...

I know many people going through that now. Even when they're left they feel fear. Loved the end--you captured the feelings perfectly

WriterKat said...

Hi AW! Welcome back - I hope you're feeling better.

tc - :-)

Thanks Pia - I had a job like that and it took a couple years to shake it off me.

paisley said...

oh that was excellent.. i love this style and subject matter from you.. bravo!!!!

WriterKat said...

thanks Paisley!